Monday, November 12, 2012

IT IS ALL ABOUT HELPING OTHERS.

I have had such a good day.  It is wonderful when you can share your to help another.  Six months ago, my friendand her husband took in his mentally challenged nephew who is also affected by Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.  This young man was living with his father and a disabled uncle who it appears was abusing him.  His mother died when he was a toddler and he was raised by an aunt who is bipolar and barely keeps it together herself.  It is very sad to think of his life up to this point.  Nothing was taught, nothing expected, his check from Social Security really the only thing that was needed by the two previous caretakers.  I will call him James.

James has come a long way in the last six months, and I have helped my friends in getting him to a new psychiatrist, finding a psychologist (which he has never had!), figuring out what caused his problems and listening a lot.  In addition, my friend was just diagnosed bipolar as well and her medicine is still not adjusted correctly.  I never thought that I would appreciate being blessed with Bipolar Disorder; however, my experiences of the past 20 years have been amazing in helping my friend and James learn to deal with the disorder and strive to achieve stability.  A funny twist is that, for a period of time, I did not drive and my friend was a cab driver.  She cut me a deal on the rate since I used her services exclusively and frequently.  That was 11 years ago.  As we rode around together, we became fast friends.  Almost four years ago, I bought a car and shortly after that she was struck with transverse myleytis.  She is no longer able to work, and does not have a car.  I am now the "cab service" for her and for James.
 
The message from all this is that over the past 20 years there have been many people who have helped me with my struggle with bipolar disorder.  The way to pay them back is to "pass it on" by helping someone else.  I am forever grateful to have the stability and opportunity to do so.  Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment